What are the best ways to relieve stress? This last weekend I had a wonderful weekend which I hope to turn in to a yearly get away.
10 things to relieve your stress:
1) One is to plan a weekend away. This weekend was planned a year in advance, but to my surprise and extra day was added.
2) Plan ahead for your family so they are not lost because of the things you always do for them. I wrote down the routine that I always follow. I set up meals with special things that we only eat when life is not “normal.”
3) Help the family set- up fun things to do when the work is done. This year my family at home went swimming with their Dad. I guess they had to do some persuading. They went to a Beloit Snappers baseball game on Saturday night. I guess the fireworks were amazing. They watched the old Columbo series.
4) For me, I had to make sure that I had enough water to travel, as we do not have a/c in our cars. The other thing I needed was directions to the places I was going.
5) Packing clothes for both settings I was going to be in. One was no a/c and the other very cold a/c.
6) Off and running….. The first place I went to Thursday night was a founding mother’s homeschool party. We had a very fun time catching up. Some of us moved out of state and one even lives in Japan at this time. We had fun talking about old times and about how most of our kids are grown up. How some followed the straight and narrow and how others have fallen away and need prayers for many different reasons. Of course we pray for all of our other kids, too. We had a wonderful time!
7) After the party, I stayed over night with a friend and we talked until 3am. I cannot remember when I have stayed up that late. I am getting older and 12midnight is my limit these days. We had a wonderful time talking and praying for each other. We slept until 10:30am which I haven’t done in a very long time. It was wonderful not to be accountable to kids for a few days.
8) Then I did a corporal work of mercy. Visiting someone who believes that no one loves him. There are many people like this that need our prayers. It was so wonderful to spread some love to people.
9) Around 5pm, I was off to my 3rd destination for the weekend. Well like I said in #4, you need directions and I forgot to get them from the direction I was at. I stopped at a familiar gas station along the way for a map. The attendant was so kind. He asked me where I was going and helped me write down directions and outlined it on the map. ( Yes, that is correct, I do not have a gps system) The attendant was very happy and helpful. I thanked him very much for his help. I got to my destination in 45 minutes just like he said.
10) My destination was the Redemptorist Retreat Center in Oconomowoc, WI. It is a lovely place. I started my evening with a shower to get all the humidity and the “world” off of me. We had Confession to cleanse our souls for the weekend. Very refreshing! We had lots of time for prayer over the weekend, and time for talking with people in similar situations as I. This was a Catholic Home school retreat. So you see my weekend was filled with wonderful homeschoolers. We all prayed for each other and share many things.
Outside they have a wonderful wooded area to walk in and a pretty lake to sit by. I was exhausted when I came, so I took a nap on Saturday afternoon.
Sunday afternoon we all headed for home refresh and ready for another year with our families.
I highly suggest to relieve stress in your life to spend time with friends and to go on a yearly retreat. Find a retreat that will rejuvenate you. There are many different kinds of retreats. If you look hard enough, you will find one for you.
I pray that you find a way to relieve yourself of stress so you are ready for the fall season.
Please share what kind of retreats that you like.